Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Why Worry?


As my family and I ate breakfast last Sunday morning, we glanced out the window to see the frost covered ground.  Littered on the frost were birds.  We watched as they pecked the ground.  I decided this was a very teachable moment and began to explain to my children how the Lord provides for birds.  I mentioned the Bible says if God provides for the birds, He will surely provide for us.  Tad replied, “because we are a lot bigger than them!”  Well, you see, Tad did not fully understand the lesson.  However, I have pondered it often this week.

Do we fully understand?  Because if we did, would we worry like we do?

Matthew 6:25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear.  Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not much more valuable than they?  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?”

Wow!  I don’t think this is a command, but an invitation…an invitation to rest in the arms of our Heavenly Father!  

Honestly, how many times have you stood in front of your closet fretting over what you would wear?  I know I have.  It wasn’t because I didn’t have any clothes; it was because I didn’t think they were stylish enough or the perfect thing for a certain event. 

Have you ever invited company for dinner and spent extremely too much money and time preparing because you were worried it wouldn’t be perfect?  Yep, I’ve done that also, when I probably had something suitable in my pantry!  

In the scheme of life, these examples of worrying are very small.  So, why do we let ourselves get worked up over such miniature details?

As we go through the next week, let’s focus on today’s allowance and be content.  Enough for today is all we can enjoy anyway!  My refrigerator may not have the exact cut of beef I desire, but there is food.  My closet may not have this season’s fad, but there are clothes. 

Thank you Lord for teaching me to be content with the blessings you have bestowed upon me.  Help me to forgo worrying and instead rest in your promises! Amen

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. You are right and we don't need to worry. It's all in God's hands. Thank you for the wonderful reminder. :) :)

    ReplyDelete