Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Friday, July 15, 2011

Building Up or Pulling Down?


“Kristie, I’m sorry but we just can’t afford to build a house right now.”  I remember hearing those words 6 years ago and feeling distraught.  I had been dreaming of building a home with my husband.   The blueprints were already vivid in my mind!  The night my husband finally told me that it was not going to happen, I could not sleep.  I went to the living room, knelt by the couch, wept, and prayed.  “God, Thank you for blessing us with this home we are living in.  Forgive me for wanting more.  Take away my desires for a new home.  I want to find my contentment and happiness in You.  Amen.”

That night I gave my desires to God.  I realized that my husband wanted to give me my dream house but he did not have a peace about it.  I had to respect that and allow him to be the head of our household and make that decision.

The next few days, I grew closer to God as I strived to make our house a home.  I wanted to be the best wife and mother I could be.  Ultimately I wanted to be the Proverbs 31 lady (and still do)!    God showed me that it was my relationship with Him that would make me happy, not material things.

Proverbs 14:1  “The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her own hands.”

Wow!  What wisdom is spoken in that one verse!  To me, this verse says that a wise woman allows God to be in control, while a foolish woman tries to control her own.  It doesn’t matter if you are living in an apartment or a mansion.  In the end, your house reflects your heart.    Without Christ, the atmosphere is cold and depressing.

God wants us to trust in Him alone.  When we do this, no matter what surrounds us (brick, stone, or wood) He is in control and will make our house a home.

We were eventually able to build a home.  My husband and I committed  to use it to glorify God.

“As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”  Joshua  24:15

*Also, read Matthew 7:24-29!

No comments:

Post a Comment