Philippians 4:13

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Family of God

Tears fell on April 27th when I was told that my grandmother’s house had been hit by the tornado.  As family gathered, we discovered that it was not salvageable.  This was not just a house but her home.  A dwelling place she had lived in for 61 years.  She experienced life as a newly wed there, raised 5 children there, and entertained her 14 grandchildren and 7 great grand children there.  Family always gathered at her home on Sundays after church to visit with one another. In only a few minutes her dwelling place she called home was gone. 

For days, she sat with her 2 daughters (whose homes had also been destroyed) and starred at the remains. 

 My Grandmother's House
 Her car/carport
The area around her house.


She and her daughters’ families slowly began life again in my parent’s home nearby.  As reality sat in and her daughters began drawing up house plans in order to rebuild, reality also sat in for her.  She was almost 90 years old and would probably never be able to rebuild. 

However, only a few weeks later my grandmother had a visitor.  “We want to build you a house” were the words she heard.  She sat stunned as she listened to how a group of Christian men and women wanted to give of their time and talents to help her.  WOW!  God had sent His servants to build her a home.  A home in which she thought she would never be able to have. 

This group of everyday people like you and I, became the hands and feet of Christ to help my grandmother.  Many took vacation time from work and some even came out of retirement to help!  They all made sacrifices.

How happy I am to be a part of the family of God!   
Volunteers giving of their time and talents!



Almost finished!



My proud grandmother!

2 comments: